Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Holding Up Arms



So Joshua fought the Amalekites as Moses had ordered, and Moses, Aaron and Hur went to the top of the hill. As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, the Amalekites were winning. When Moses' hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up—one on one side, one on the other—so that his hands remained steady till sunset. So Joshua overcame the Amalekite army with the sword.
-Exodus 17:10-13


This morning as I read my Bible-in-a-Year, I came to Exodus and the story of how Aaron and Hur held up Moses hands in order to win the battle with the Amalekites. I've always loved this story...but today the Holy Spirit applied it to my own life and heart...and now I love it even more!

You and I, like Aaron & Hur, have been called to be helpers. We're not Moses helpers...but we're helpers. I know I have been assigned to help my husband...among others. But in the context of helping my husband...I see my role in a different light now that I've come upon this story again. In the Bible, Moses could not have victory over the enemy unless his helpers held up his arms...God ordained it to be so. Just as with them, my husband needs me to stand beside him and support him, to prepare a place for him to rest (a rock to sit on), and to take hold of his arms and hold them up when he is too exhausted and weak to go on himself. Not only does this story depict the necessity of a helper...but it illustrates the fact that while Moses was the leader, his helpers were imperative to the success of his calling. So, imagine how the course of history may have changed, if Aaron & Hur had refused to come alongside Moses as they were called to? Imagine how we can alter the course of history and the impact on God's Kingdom when we do or don't obey God's calling to support and help our husbands. What an awesome role we've been given the privilege to fulfill. Only through prayer and God's continual grace, can we rise to the occasion.

This same principle could also apply to others in our lives. Who's arms have you been called to hold up?

3 comments:

  1. Jonie, this was just what I needed to hear...not just today, but also the other 364 days out of the year. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing. I also love the picture above. It's such a strong visual and helps me as I picture myself helping Brian. God Bless you today my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I too love the picture...it is amazing how much a visual can help us understand the depths of a concept or idea...it does me, anyway! I'm glad you're blessed. Praise God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the book The Priest by Francine rivers...all about Aaron being the helper to Moses. This reminds me of all the treasured lessons I learned in that book about being a helper. Thank you for the sweet reminders!

    ReplyDelete